Skywatcher Skyliner 250PX Dobsonian

Hi everyone, i am a complete beginner to astronomy however have been interested in it for a long time. After serious thought i have just ordered a Skywatcher Skyliner 250PX Dobsonian from First Light Optics, is this a good choice? Do i need any other accessories? I ordered turn left at orion from Amazon also. Does anyone know any good sites to set up near Loch Lomond, Scotland? Thank you in advance.

It's an excellent scope for visual astronomy - congratulations !.

I would not rush into buying other accessories until you have had a chance to use the scope a few times. There are literally dozens of different things you could get but it's only by trying the scope that you will find what YOU actually need.

The exception would be to get a good star atlas and guide to the night sky such as the well renowned book "Turn Left at Orion". You should also download the free planetarium software Stellarium.

fantastic scope, got one myself :hello2:. as john said don't feel the need to rush and buy everything you see, you've already got a good guide book ordered, download stellarium and enjoy what you have for a while. if you do want to buy something (anything) then i'd suggest a red light torch (or a normal torch with red nail varnish) to preserve your night vision.

And a Jumper, Gloves and a Scarf if you're up that way north!!

Im sure there are lots of dark skies near you! In the latest edition of Sky at Night Magazine there is a Dark Sky map of the UK which you might find useful.

you might struggle with the supplied finderscope - I found it physically very uncomfortable for my neck and conceptually very difficult to use as the image is inverted and back to front. Think about a correct image right angled finder or a zero power red dot finder.

Archived