Adding GoTo to a GP2 mount

Im hoping someone can advise me with this , Just over a year ago i

bought my Orion(uk) scope which came with a Vixen GP2 mount,but didnt have the funds to include the RA motor /GoTo.

I have been informed the EQ5 is a copy of the GP2 mount and the

MT1 EQ5 RA motor /controller would work with a GP2 , but not sure about a GoTo package , As yet i have had no response from any

suppliers (except vixen and there Starbook-S which is way too expensive)

I would be greatful for any advice

John

Hi John

I fitted the EQ5 dual axis motor control kit to my GP mount and then added the

COAA Telescope Controller - WinCTC GoTo this works great not quite as swish as the Starbook-S but come as a cheaper option.

doing it this way I could do it in stages.

The motor control was easy to fit and is ideal for my Grandson to use.

by adding the COAA Telescope Controller - WinCTC later I con now control it from the computer when I wish.

regards

Ivor

Hi John,

I'd put up a wanted advert for a used Vixen Skysensor 2000 or see whether Astrosource could find you one.

I have one on my GP-DX. It works a treat and I still think that it's better than the Starbook that it replaced.

wow -Thanks for the info Ivor and Paul , not heard of these ,but it is good to know that

an alternative to the Starbook S will work with the gp2, i will do a search for them ,

Now I know should have come here for advise!

I have a Vixen Skysensor but it is the old model this works with the GP mount but had to use diferent motors 12v not the Synta 6v that are used with the COAA Telescope Controller - WinCTC GoTo. This old model of Skysensor is a very slow goto. If you are going for the Skysensor system make sure that it is the 2000 which has a respectable GoTo speed

Ivor

• 3 years later...

Hi John

I fitted the EQ5 dual axis motor control kit to my GP mount and then added the

COAA Telescope Controller - WinCTC GoTo this works great not quite as swish as the Starbook-S but come as a cheaper option.

doing it this way I could do it in stages.

The motor control was easy to fit and is ideal for my Grandson to use.

by adding the COAA Telescope Controller - WinCTC later I con now control it from the computer when I wish.

regards

Ivor

Hi Ivor

Are you still usiing WinCTC? I have a unit and have not used it because I have been doing other things. It is a great unit an I wonder if you are using it with other software these days, given it has an LX 200 interface.

Thanks

Mike

Archived