Barlow lenses ?

Hi everyone

I'm seriously considering a barlow lense, because I need a bit more power on the planets. The trouble is I read conflicting views on them, some claim they reduce image quality some what. But elswhere I've read they increase quality ??????:hello2:.

I would really appreciate definative information on this, is it just the case that if you spend an absolute fortune on a top barlow it won't effect image at all or will any barlow do.

I'm going for barlow because I don't want to look through a lense with a tiny diameter, to get a closer look at the planets.

thanks people :):):):):p

You need to get a 'decent' one really... I have gone through a few in last few years and never been very happy, especially with the basic x2 ones that often come with telescope kits and as freebies...

I now have a Celestron ultima 2x which has not had many outings yet but seems pretty good to me... It is generally regarded as a bit of a 'benchmark' product in 1.1/4 in barlows a it is good quality at a reasonable price....

I do have another very specific and very exotic barlow that I have not yet used as Ihave not yet worked out how to connect it to the cameras I use...

will maybe review and post on the forum if i get to use it in anger.

Steve

A decent quality barlow lens is a good way to get increased magnificaton. The affordable ones normally recommended are the TAL 2x barlows which cost around £35.00. Then we have the excellent but more expensive Celestron Ultima 2x barlow which will set you back £80 or so. A bit more will get you a Tele Vue 2x (also very good). Tele Vue also do things called Powermate's ( which are superb but rather expensive ) which have the same effect but use an alternative optical configuration.

All will cost less used of course.

John

Both the Tal x2 and x3 are highly regarded and you really cannot go wrong for the price. I have the x2 and it is excellent. Doesn't degrade the view at all.

The chaps at FLO will be able to sort you out with one (or both) after their Christmas break.

thanks everyone looks like the tal for now then, I saw them on stockport bino+telescope centre website (where i got my scope from because it's the nearest shop to me). I'll get the times three one because it will give better a range of magnification with my pieces

Thanks again people :hello2::):):):):p

Archived