Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nexstar SLT mount - manual adjustment/clutch?

inapottingshed

Just got hold of an SLT GOTO AltAz - mount, and its my first time with Celestron kit. The mount can be moved by hand (or knocked accidentally ;-) ), so I'm wondering if this mechanism is intended to slip, like some sort of clutch. In other words, I should not tighten the bolts to prevent it slipping?

I have the SLT mount and have tightened the nuts holding the legs to the mount for better stability, but I have never had to tighten the altitude centre bolt or the azimuth as I have never been able to turn either by hand. I therefore can't see there being any problem If you carefully tighten the alt az bolts using the correct size spanner and only sufficeint so thet the mount cannot be turned easily by hand. Unlike the CPC mount, there are no clutches to tighten on the SLT.

Hope that helps,

Brinders

• 10 years later...

The 130 SLT has a clutch only on the OTA up and down, the rotate does not have a clutch at all and is fixed firmly with locators, pegs in the bottom and a key-way on the axis bolt; its bearing can be adjusted to reduce wobble. The big gear wheel is screwed to the underside by two small screws which need to be quite tight (they're not really man enough for the job), turning by hand may loosen then or strip them out. Turning the rotate by hand may damage the gears. 

The OTA clutch can be adjusted by the nut under the clamp. Pull the OTA clamp hand screw out to access the nut. I have the clamp hand knob at the top where I can get at it and a hole drilled through for a screwdriver shaft to nip it up; I have arthritis.

Old thread but I've just had it apart again to service. It needed fresh grease because the old stuff was as much use as soap. Everything tightened up snug; less play, less backlash.

I can confirm that the SLT mount has a slip clutch on the altitiude axis but not on the azimuth axis. The reason for this (I assume) is that the mount can spin around in azimuth as much as it wants, but with certain scopes/accessories in place, aiming too near the zenith will result in a collision, and something has to give (preferrably not the diagonal or the Alt gearbox).

The altitude slip clutch may be too loose and can be tightened, (see above) but don't overdo it.