Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Moon mosaic 24 Oct 2009

yesyes

A bit late, I know, but here's a Moon mosaic I've taken in October this year. Took me a while to work up the courage to post it in here .. :hello2:

I know the rotation isn't quite right. Iny suggestions on how to get the rotation as it should be?

It's been taken through my 8" Netw with a Philips SPC900NC webcam. 24 individual videos/images. The below image is 40% of original size.

post-14790-133877417121_thumb.jpg

hi yesyes what a fantastic pic you have taken. re the orientation.....have you windows photo gallery or picasa if so you will find a left and right arrow, and by clicking on either it will rotate the pic left or right. to actually flip or mirror the image i use.....my theme online photo editor. to access this just type the name in your search engine and save as favourates. this is a free down load.

Thanks astropete. I was well pleased with the result.

Regarding orientation, I think I didn't make myself clear. I know how to rotate a picture. :hello2:

What I meant was how do you make it so that it's the same orientation as on the sky? Do you attach the webcam in a certain angle on the scope?

• 10 months later...
A bit late, I know, but here's a Moon mosaic I've taken in October this year. Took me a while to work up the courage to post it in here .. :)

I know the rotation isn't quite right. Iny suggestions on how to get the rotation as it should be?

It's been taken through my 8" Netw with a Philips SPC900NC webcam. 24 individual videos/images. The below image is 40% of original size.

Hi yesyes,,

I know I'm reactivating an old thread here, but I've had a problem trying to do a similar thing using the same setup as you.

Can I ask if you used Registax, and if so how did you use it in your files to create the above.

I have taken only 5 video's/avis, and then put them through the program, and after about 40 mins of processing etc, the picture comes out a bit squiffy. i.e. i have 5 avi's of a sweep from one side of the moon to the other, lowering it each time, essentially getting the whole moon on film. Is this the correct way to do it?

Thanks in advance.

Simon

Hi. Yes, I have first converted each avi individually in Registax to get still images. In Registax I have used the exact same settings for each one. So I converted the first one so that it looks good, then run through the other avis without touching any settings. I only selected different align points for each.

Then, once I had the individual images, I just dropped them into Microsoft ICE (Image Composite Editor, FREE!) and out came the mosaic. Then just a little brightness tweak and a bit of sharpening in Photoshop and that's it.

ok thanks for the reply, then I must be doing something wrong in registax, as after processing it the image is all messed up. Do you think its because I only have 5 frames, that are caaputring too much of the moon in one go? If so, how did you do it. I'm guessing you have to manual move your dob like me?

Thanks

I don't have a dob. Mine is a Newt on a goto mount. But that shouldn't make a difference in this case.

What exactly do you mean by "the image is all messed up"? Are you referring to the combined mosaic or individual images? Can you post an example so I can see what is messed up?

Unfortunately I dont have an image to show as I turned of f the computer in a huff last night after it didn't work. So, I've got 5 avi's, and I try putting one of those through and after running through it through registax to try and get one image out, the image stacked frm the 1400 or so frames that make up the entire sweep (from one side to the other), don't much look like the moon! It was all blurry and you couldn't make out any of the features etc. I must be doing something wrong in registax itself, just dont know what.

I load the avi up and then click optimise then after 40 or so mins it produces the offending article.

Thanks again for your help.

Ahaaaaaaaaaa. You have the whole sweep in one avi? That's wrong. You need to make individual avis of each part of the moon without too much movement in each. Then stop recording, move the scope over a little so that you get the next part of the moon (with a little overlap) and then start a new avi. Repeat until you have covered the whole moon or the part that you want to image.

Then you convert each avi individually in Registax and then stitch them together in ICE.

Oh dear, is it that simple! I feel such a fool. SO basically with a dob, I'm going to have to try and hold it still i.e. keep it steady for as long as possible. Thanks yesyes, biiiiiiig help.

The whole idea of me doing this was because I couldn't see the whole moon in my FOV using the webcam (i.e. I wanted to at least have taken one picture of the moon), so elsewhere in the forum someone suggested making a mosaic.

Thanks again, going to have to wait for clear skies again now....could be weeks at this rate! :-(

Once again thanks for staying with me there!

Simon

It doesn't matter if the moon is moving a bit while recording one part. Registax will attempt to compensate by aligning the individual frames. But there are limits.

Next time you're out, just record lots of avis with different settings and movement, make notes which avi has been taken with which setting (or better, use the avi file name for that) and then see which one works best when you do the processing.

Also, maybe start with single images of a particular crater or so until you have some practice, then move to mosaics. IIRC I was out taking single images of the moon twice before doing the mosaic above.

Archived