At the risk of sounding like a complete numpty...

...and while i'm at it, thanks to the unbelievable cold outside tonight i've just brought my scope in and noticed the main mirror is covered in condensation. Now my sensible head is saying just leave it, let it do its thing, but do i leave the cap on or off?

I've had a fiddle, wether you'd call it collomating is a whole other matter. But the moon earlier was impressively sharp, like all the high-res photos I've ever seen, so I can have done that much damage!

When I say colourful stars, they aren't so numerous as the other white ones and barely show up in the bino's. But they do really stand out against the others in view!? Please bear in mind I have shoddy natural eyesight.

Ps. Bad luck on the 150 mate! Fingers crossed it wont be too long. Just make sure whoever delivers it leaves a bleedin' note. Mine sat in the post office for more than a week before I went lookin for it - if I hadn't it'd probably still be there! Damn you royal mail/parcelforce.

i dont really know what the problem might be :/ if this makes you feel any better my binos are kinda useless i get a view of little craters but my bins dont have enough magnification on them plus there not a good make which affects it lol and FLO didnt have anymore 150p's in stock its no problem really its just i would of been literally over the moon if it came in the next day or 2, but when thier in stock mine is going to be despatched to me and that should be the start-mid january.

Don't touch the lenses/mirrors!

Condensation (we usually call it dew) is perfectly normal. Leave the caps off for some hours and it will evaporate. If you clean the lens you risk scratching the coatings and that will cause real damage.

As to the other questions, some stars do have colors. One of the main doubles, Alberio haves a blue and an orange star orbiting each other:

alberio.jpg

Some people pick up color better then others. My wife picks it much easier then me.

To reduce dew and make your sessions longer use a dew shield. You can buy one or make one at home using a camping mat or even card board and replace when ever needed. A dew shield is nothing but to add more surfaces near the scope so dew will form in it instead of the mirrors, at least for a while.

A 12v portable hair drier is also "standard" equipment. But use it from a distance. A little warm air will be enough to evaporate any condensation.

Just make sure whoever delivers it leaves a bleedin' note. Mine sat in the post office for more than a week before I went lookin for it - if I hadn't it'd probably still be there! Damn you royal mail/parcelforce.

I have a weird feeling something like this is going to happen to me today, I have to go to work but am expecting my new 'scope to be delivered.

If you are reading this Mr Courier man leave it with my neighbour!

I've been using the AstroZap breathable dust caps for my 14" dob for a while. They let the tube breathe but keep the dust out so they can be put on as soon as the scope is brought inside. They're not cheap but they do work. Unfortunately as far as I know no one imports them into the UK and you'll have to buy them directly from AstroZap although you could try asking FLO if they could get some with their next order from AstroZap.

http://astrozap.com/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=61

John

...when I look through my 130 newt, why do most stars appear as white pin-pricks while others seem to twinkle red white and blue. Please guys, go easy!

:D

The ones that twinkle red white and blue are the ones America has made it to and planted flags on to stake out their claim...

Archived