Polar/Drift Alignment

Hi all.

So Ive been trying to get into imaging with varying degrees of limited success. I can polar align quite well using polarfinder and the polar scope on my eq6. Stand is balanced carefully too. But no matter what I do I cant get past 90-120 second subs without the stars going streaky. Its really getting to me now cos Ive spent alot of money I cant really afford and am not getting very good results despite all my efforts over the past three months. I tried to learn drift alignment but dont understand some of the terms and now feel stupid.

Are there any websites that explain clearly how to drift align? Ideally, Im just trying to get to three minute subs with a careful set up and I think drift alignment would get me there without having to spend more money on guiding that I cant yet justify to my wife!

Also, how do I set up PEC on my stand, is it worth doing? Basically, any setup tips or polar alignment tips would be really appreciated. Im cold, just spent three hours getting useless data and really need some help from you guys as Im running out of patience (and money) I do love this hobby but I just need something to spur me on, some kind of small progress to break past the 90 sec barrier.

Anyway, less of my rambling, cheers for looking.

Polar Alignment (PA) can be a pain. I spent hours on it today. I use a webcam and a bit of software called EQAlign which monitors the webcam images and controls the scope via the EQMOD stack.

Some time ago I made a video explaining the principle of drift alignment:

There's subtitles so you don't have to listen to my voice.

See if that makes it any more comprehensible.

Phoenix

Drift Alignment can be difficult to begin as you learn the technique :D...but once mastered will give good results. :) It is however best used in a permanent installation or at least a 'repeatable' position. For example, I have 3 holes drilled on the patio where the legs of my mount's tripod goes for every session which helps to minimise the time I have to spend doing DA.

The best two explanations of how to do DA are these

Drift Alignment - Photographing the Cosmos with ordinary film

Drift Aligning - Ian King

The first includes an animation/tutorial which helps to demonstrate the frustration of DA. The 2nd is IMO the best practical description of how to do DA, including where to stand in relation to the mount which most explanations seem to ignore yet is so important

Good luck

Steve

Archived