Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

18 Dec - M42 and M45 under good skies

acharris77

Well, I did plan to do more observing tonight than the 50 mins I was outside due to the clouds that were out earlier on in the night :D, So after some food, I decide to set the scope up for cooling, then I went out at around 11pm with the plan of viewing just the M42 and M45 under a moonless sky.

So out I go and turn the scope to M42, and under these frosty skies, the view of the trapezium was just wow, and I could see a hint of nebulosity around there, totally different view to my last one with the full moon sky. This is the first time I have seen nebulosity on the M42 and I was in awe, just looking for about 20 mins at it, taking in it amazing sight. using both the 10mm and the 25mm

Then I swing the scope to the M45, this too is the first time I viewed this under a moonless sky. The view was amazing compare to the seeing conditions last time I viewed it, the glow from some if the stars and the clarity was simply amazing, I wish I had an eyepiece with a wider FOV than my 26mm meade.

So I had a good night except for the cold, I was dressed in jeans, t-shirt, sweat shirt, fleece top and big coat over the top, and gloves as well, I must have looked well padded up with all the clothes on, but I was warm(ish) so I didnt care how I looked. Thanks all for reading.

I'm glad you had a better look at them and enjoyed your session! :D

Those 2 are a great sight. Specially M42, even when I have something else planned I can never resist a quick peek, that usually turns into at least 15min! :)

Some days the seeing is so good I can see structure in the nebula, almost like some kind of flame.

Archived