Easy scope for parents

Hi All,

I am looking into getting my parents an easy to operate scope for this XMAS.

Initial thoughts were to keep it all under £200 but to also leave them with scope (excuse pun) for expansion.

Initial thought are on the skywatcher 130....any feedback (is this a good choice)?

Anything that give's the wow effect on the moon will be a winner(additional's like planets and DSO's will be a bonus).

I see FLO has a number of options for this scope, any help would be much appreciated:

Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 130

I assume this one does not track or GOTO? how would you aim it though? Is it manually or via a motor?

Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 130M

Same questions as above.

Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 130P

Am i right in that this one is different only by having a parabolic mirror (which i hear isnt a must have at this price range). Again is this motorised/manual controlled? does it have tracking and/or GOTO?

These last 2 are both alt-azimuth mounts (would these be easier and quicker to setup/operate)?

Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 130P SupaTrak AUTO

Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 130P SynScan AZ GOTO

Sorry for the long list of questions and thanks for any answers. :D

Luke

I'd suggest a dobsonian. Better bang for buck, easier setup (just carry it outside whole and no need to have to align it with anything), easier use than an equatorial based newtonian (sometimes you have to get in very awkward positions or rotate the tube in the rings in order to be able to look through it. You'll also need a star atlas too (about £10)

In fact, I'd suggest this: Dobsonians - Skywatcher Skyliner 150P Dobsonian

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt replies.

With the DOB is it just a case of manually swinging it to your desired destination?

Also I have never actually seen a DOB up close, with these do you look through the eyepiece from the top of the scope? Or is it as normal with the eyepiece mounted at the back, with the scope extending out infront of you?

Thanks,

Luke

How old and fit are your parents, where would they be using the scope, how keen are they on astronomy and what might they want to look at?

For casual peeks at the moon, a small refractor on alt-az mount. A spotting scope could also be used for daytime nature watching.

If they're serious and don't mind a heavy, bulky scope, a dob is good.

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt replies.

With the DOB is it just a case of manually swinging it to your desired destination?

Also I have never actually seen a DOB up close, with these do you look through the eyepiece from the top of the scope? Or is it as normal with the eyepiece mounted at the back, with the scope extending out infront of you?

Thanks,

Luke

Yes you manually swing a dob left/right/up/down. The eyepiece is at the front end of the scope.

I'd suggest a dobsonian.

First answer. Must be a world record!

To answer the QUESTION ASKED, I'd go with pvaz's answer (although not the last line, of course!). The 130 in all it's guises is a superb starter scope. Many people on this forum have started with one and then progressed. It is a very capable scope and will serve well for the moon, planets and deep sky objects (DSOs).

For your budget, you can't get much better than it, brand new.

The 130 comes without any form of motor, so you will hve to find and then track the object manually. Same with the 130p, although this is a slightly longer focal length scope so is more forgiving on focus (not such a snmall 'sweet spot').

The 130M has a motor on one drive. You find the object, engage the clutch and the motor will keep it in the FOV (subject to polar aligning, which is fairly straight forward).

The SynScan and Supatrak are GOTO of a sort.

HTH?

Brilliant. This makes thing's alot clearer.

In answer to the parents.

They are both fit and healthy but with no astronomy background (apart from looking through their parents scopes as a kid). They would mainly use it in the back garden and would target the simplist of objects (moon, planets etc).

I'm leaning towards the:

Skywatcher Explorer 130P SupaTrak AUTO

with a moon filter and laser collimator (I'm assuming the laser one is easier to collimate with than the cheaper options without laser).

This brings me just above the £200 threshold but their my folks so it won't hurt (plus it gives me the chance to play with it myself :D

Thanks everyone!

Archived