Counter Weight Question

Does anyone know if a Skywatcher counterweight will fit onto a celestron CGEM?

I have found out that the CGEM counter weight shaft diameter is 20mm, but I do not know if the Skywatcher counter weight shaft if the same diameter.

Any advice / comments are welcome.

many thanks

Which Skywatcher c/weight. If it is for a EQ3/2 or EQ5, then I believe it does (I think they are 20mm). I believe HEQ5 and EQ6 are a milimetre smaller diameter shaft (again, I think). Having said that, some of the weights (at least the ones that came with my EQ6) have a removable plastic grommet in them as they are from the same casting mould as the EQ3/2 and should also fit..

I am not sure which mount the counterweight is from. The supplier just said that they were having trouble locating a celestron weight and oferred me a skywatcher weight instead.

They did say it was Black in colour, so I guess elimenates the EQ5 PRO and EQ6 PRO weights.

CAn they put the c/weight on a HEQ5/6 in their showroom. You will know if it will fit the 20mm shaft if it cannot be held quite as snugly as the standard EQ6 weight. Alternatively, ask him if there is a small plastic insert in the hole where the shaft goes...

Which Skywatcher c/weight. If it is for a EQ3/2 or EQ5, then I believe it does (I think they are 20mm). I believe HEQ5 and EQ6 are a milimetre smaller diameter shaft (again, I think). Having said that, some of the weights (at least the ones that came with my EQ6) have a removable plastic grommet in them as they are from the same casting mould as the EQ3/2 and should also fit..

As arad85 says - the Celestron shafts are 20mm in diameter, the Skywatcher ones are 18mm. The EQ6/HEQ5 ones do have a plastic bit inside that can be removed.

EQ5 counterweights should fit just fine. :icon_eek:

James

Archived