Which scope - and why?

I'm looking to get my first real scope but have hit a bit of a temporary brick wall (my brain hurts!) :headbang:

Want:

- the "boss" would like to explore planets and the moon.

- me, I want to explore further.

Problems:

- a limited budget of about £500 tops

- the kit needs to be fairly light weight - say about 15lbs per unit(physical limitations) This, I think, rules out the EQ mounting

- limited good seeing in the Yorkshire dales wetlands! so need to set up easily and quickly and store easily. We don't travel and would be using the kit at home.

Preferences:

- would really like to use the scope sitting down (less strain)

- Goto would be a useful tool

Research to date:

- would love to get an APO - but cost is OTT

- shortlist of refractors over the past 4 weeks comes down to

- Startravel 102 SynScan AZ Goto

- Nexstar 102 SLT with Goto

(many others abandoned - I like the short refractors but have been put off by the comments that I have read on poor resolution viewing planets) - the boss would be digging a good-sized hole at the bottom of the garden!

I have looked at several reflectors but find it difficult to work out whether, in this price range, these would give the DSO I would like - they all seem to concentrate on planets.

- considering the Skymax 127 Synscan AZ with the advertised DSO "kit" to offset its limitations but I hate that sort of compromise. - and it is well within my budget so could I do better?

Also, a silly question, but how do you use the Goto in "manual search" mode?

Any suggestions on how to progress?

icon9.gif

Hi Juno,

I'm the proud owner of a 3" f6 refractor and a 4" mak cass, and if I were you I'd opt for the mak cass.

A 5" maksutov should take you deeper than a 4" achromatic refractor, and should be crisper on the planets too. What you get with a short refractor is a wide field rather than a deep one. There are some extended objects (the Andromeda galaxy, for example) that benefit from a wide field, but the majority of DSOs are relatively compact and demand aperture. You can spend the rest of your budget on fancy eyepieces or light pollution filters or batteries and all the other things that are easily neglected but make a big difference.

Thats a tough set of criteria to satisfy and I think you are going to have to accept a compromise or two. That's why many of us own more than one scope - there is no design that really excels in all areas.

However ...... I tend to agree with hunterknox's recommendation of a 5" maksutov scope. The model below from Skywatcher is well within your budget and ticks a lot of your boxes. It's a bit of a compromise for deep sky objects because of it's longish focal length but will provide nice views of the brighter and more compact DSO's:

Maksutov - Skywatcher Skymax 127 SynScan AZ GOTO

It may weigh a little more than 15lbs all up though - but not much more :headbang:

John

When reading your post, the requirements seamed almost as what I get from my scope, except for the weight limit so I'll suggest the Orion XT6i (lower size):

Orion Dobson telescope N 150/1200 SkyQuest XT6 IntelliScope DOB

- the "boss" would like to explore planets and the moon.

Check.

- me, I want to explore further.

Check. (6" allows to see at least all Messier and many NGCs)

- a limited budget of about £500 tops

Close, but check.

- the kit needs to be fairly light weight - say about 15lbs per unit

Almost Check. (20lbs for the mount, 13 for the tube)

- limited good seeing in the Yorkshire dales wetlands! so need to set up easily and quickly and store easily. We don't travel and would be using the kit at home.

Check. This is where the dob design stands out, I think.

- would really like to use the scope sitting down (less strain)

Check. I observe with an old office chair with wheels.

- Goto would be a useful tool

Is a PushTo good enough? (It tells where to point but haves no motors. On the other hand a 12v battery for the control is all you need.)

It's just an idea, feel free to ignore it if you don't like it. :headbang:

I agree with Paulo, we have an XT6 Dobsonian and it is a big hit with beginners. The planetary and DSO performance is first class as the optics are superb, I am confident it would match or beat most of the other scopes you have considered (and it's apochromatic!). The push it yourself "GOTO" ability is amazing considering it's simplicity.

Hunterknox / John

Thanks for your suggestions - always a lot better to ask than guess

Having spent the day exploring further, I am going with your suggestion of the Skymax 127 and as you said - use the budget surplus. So I will be adding the focal reducer and 32mm eyepeice for improved DSO (at least I'll keep my head above ground)

I'm sure we will both get a lot of pleasure out of it and if so, then I may also become the owner of more than one scope if necessary.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

PVAZ - thanks for your suggestions - looked at the options but in the end preferred the Skymax solution.

Clear skies to everyone over Xmas !

John

Archived