Hello everyone

Hi all,

This is my first post on here. I would just like to announce that (after weeks of procrastination) I have just purchased my first telescope!:icon_eek:

I plumped for the Celestron OMNI 120 XLT from FLO in the end and I am currently waiting delivery - Im so excited!

It took me so long to decide on a scope. With my budget being £200-300, I ended up with a shortlist of 4 scopes: Skywatcher Skymax 127, Skywatcher Explorer 150, Skywatcher Dob 200p, and the celestron OMNI 120 XLT. It seemed that everyone I asked advice had a different opinion (guy from club said the dob, guy from f1 cameras said the skymax) but in then end the guy from FLO (blumming nice bloke) said that the OMNI should be high on my list as it is a bargain at £259 and should suit my needs nicely.

Im looking forward to having a go at jupiter, the moon, the orion nebula and some of the Messiers. No doubt I will be bugging people with questions as I have not used an EQ mount before (although I get the principle).

Im thinking I may need to invest in some more eyepieces as the omni only comes with a 25mm (and the only other ones I have came with a cheapy 3" reflector I borrowed off my brother and will prob not do the new scope justice). Does anybody have any suggestions as to what accessories I should buy to compliment the omni?? And does anybody have any nice suggestions as to what I should look for on my first proper nights observing.

so excited.

Warren:icon_salut:

hi warren and welcome. you will find this site very informative and friendly. well done for asking around for your first scope. when it arrives i do hope the skys are clear and your "first light" is good.

re observing.... i would say the moon (if its about) its large (tee hee) bright and easy to locate. use a 25mm e/p and the sights will amaze you (look at the luna section)

jupiter is a good object, and with a 20mm e/p you should see the main belts and if out the four main moons.

a good star atlas and tutorial is a must, so you will know whats up and about, try turn left at orion as a start, or the (2010) year book of astronomy, a month by month account of the night sky, tutorials and reference data.

again welcome and happy viewing.

peter.

Congrats on the scope :).

I'd offer 2 bits of advice:

1. Don't rush into buying more accessories for it until you have used it a few times - you will have a much better idea what you actually need (as opposed to think you need :icon_eek: ) then.

2. Spend time getting used to the way the scope and mount work in daylight. Equatorial mounts can seem really weird if you have not used one before so familiarise yourself with it's movements and controls when you can see what you are doing.

John

:icon_eek: Hi from me too.

Just guessing I'd say get a red light torch as the first accessory, download Stellarium cos its free and a rather good guide to the night skay and get an astronomy mag for the month with a sky guide (Sky at Nights quite good for this) in case your away from the PC where you observe.

Targets ? Well Jupiters about in the eraly evening sky to the South, if you stay up late the Orion Nebulas around from about midnight and relatively easy to find.

Hi Warren,

A warm welcome to SGL, The Celestron 120 refractor with Starbright XLT coatings on the CG-4 mount should suit you well, if you suffer from vibration with the mount, with this scope, try hanging a weight from the center of the tripod this will help to dampen things down a bit. Apart from star maps and red torch( use the red cellophane off a sweet over the end of a small torch ), when you come to consider expanding your eyepieces the Orthoscpopic range will improve your views of the Moon and Planets and help splitting double stars, without being a great financial outlay, they can be found at quite reasonable prices secondhand, a good quality 2x Barlow will also help to expand your ep mag range. Enjoy the forum.

John.

Wow - thanks everybody for replying!! :)

I think I shall be investing in the turn left at orion book as everyone seems to think its invaluable for star hopping to find things. I already have Stellarium on my laptop and have been using it for a few months. I sped up time on it the other day and looked at the total eclipse on 23 september 2090 - it was very weird witnessing skies that I wont be around to see!

In reply to Johns (jahmanson) suggestion - it is probably a good call suggesting that i should practice the EQ mount in daylight, but if i get home from work and the scopes arrived and the night sky is clear what do you think the chances are of me waiting!!! hmmm :icon_eek:

Ill do a post on here after my first nights observing and let you know how i got on, and what i think of the omni 120 / mount etc.

Thanks again for the warm welcome and all your advice. (and advice to come!)

I sincerely hope my family have a lot of money to spend on xmas presents this year! ;)

Warren

Archived