NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Herald-Bobroff Astro Atlas

Doc

I've been looking for it for a while, just to add to the collection, but it's hard to find (for me at any rate).

It uses an unconventional way of labelling DSOs that encodes more information than usual. The general opinion seems to be that this is very useful once you get used to it - but it takes some getting used to.

My step-up from SkyAtlas 2000 was to Uranometria, which is easy to get and easy to use - it's great.

I'm also hoping to add Millennium Star Atlas to the collection some day, but it's out of print and ain't cheap.

I suspect that HB may be out of print too, but affordable.

And of course there's always JR's TriAtlas - which I'm printing out right now as I type.

I think you can still buy it for $90 from Australia. The Sky Atlas 2000 is good but only goes to mag 8.5 while the Millenium Atlas is about £500 if you can find one.

I think I might check out this JR's TriAtlas. Are you printing it out on A4?

I got mine from here a couple of years ago - I really like it although I don't use astro atlases that much.

It does display a huge amount of data in a different way than is perhaps the norm in astro atlases but I bought it at the time I was doing a course on GIS at City University and data representation is a huge part of GIS etc. Once you are used to it it becomes second nature to read the info.

If you like atlases then you should try and get one :icon_eek:

James

I think I might check out this JR's TriAtlas. Are you printing it out on A4?

I'm printing the C set on A4: it has stars down to mag 12. About 400 pages or so should get me as far south as I need. I plan on carrying it loose in folders for use as and when, though Uranometria serves most of my purposes well enough. TriAtlas will be for identifying closely packed objects in galaxy clusters etc.

Archived