quick question about eq mounts

hi, as the thread title suggests just a quick (probably silly) question concering eq mounts...

if i polar align it properly and its balanced well etc should i be able to scan the whole sky at 51 degrees lat? just that i got it set up for the first time yesterday and i was struggling with it to say the least. :icon_eek::)

I had the same problem and someone (Scotastro) sent this link to me, helps make sense of how to look where you want to look! I kept bashing my 'scope into the controls and couldn't understand it all, haven't had a clear night to go outside and play since though!

Astronomy Boy: Animated Equatorial Mount Tutorial

All the best:headbang:

Matt

The latitude setting is for the mount in effect. Its the mount thats aimed at Polaris rather than the scope per se.

With the mount facing North and the Lat scale set at 51' the scope can scan the entire sky using just the DEC and RA movement.

Think of the DEC and RA as describing an X shape which is broadly what they do. Because the cross point on the X can occur anyweher on either the / or the \ part of the X shape the whole sky is visible (well apart from stuff thats below the horizon of course).

Bets thing is play about with it indoors. Loosen the clutches off on the RA and DEC so the scope is free and try pointing the scope at different things in the room. Youl'll soon pick it up.

Archived