SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

2 starter scopes

am on very limited budget (ie dole) and so am looking for a scope in the 80-100 region.

WOuld hope to use the scope for both birdwatching and astronomy, so will need to be portable, and a 45deg angle.

HAve seen these 2 scopes:

Celestron WideView 102mm telescope, spotting scope OTA on eBay (end time 06-Nov-09 18:52:11 GMT)

and a skywatcher one, for 85 quid, misplaced the link atmo(think its 80mm lens)

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=st80ota

Anyone know anything about these 2?

whats cheapest ED scope I could save up for, and is there a vast difference in performance?

tnx)

Those come with the telescope tube only. You'll have to spend more cash to get a mount to suport the telescope plus at least one eyepiece.

If you want a starter kit containing all the minimum required equipment to start observing out-of-the-box, then buy one of these:

Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 130

Startravel - Skywatcher Startravel 80 (EQ1)

The 1st one is a better buy since it haves more aperture, a better mount and comes with a wider range of eyepieces. Upgrading the 2nd one will make it more expensive then the 1st.

"with the telescope tube only"

actually i have some lens already, some bargains off ebay. I have heavy duty manfrotto tripod, but will have to explore the fixing method; birding scopes are screw in, am not familiar with this bar thing.

why do you say the first one is astro only? oh ic u mean this one....http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=SW_explorer_130

not the celestron wide angle.

I think my real questions is....will the skywatcher have better quality optics, than the celestron. ie which will have the least colour aberation. oe do only ed lens eradicate this problem?

The Skywatcher ST 80 is a good scope - I had (until this morning!) the 102 version. If you can source a cheap alt/az tripod from Ebay, it would be a cracking set up for a beginner!

Edit - posted at the same time. Manfrotto tripod is a great start. Speak to the chaps at FLO about connecting the scope to the tripod.

Archived