Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

It must have been a glorious sky......

Tim

Very poignant, stunning photo, really conjures up one's images of the events of the time.

Sometimes good can come out of a tragedy like that - for my in-laws at any rate. My father-in-law and mother-in-law were both, separately, living in the city at the time: both lived through the raid shaken but unharmed. They were dating at the time but it wasn't serious. It was while surveying the devastation that they decided to seal the knot at once: they had a quickie 'war wedding' a few weeks later. A marriage that lasted 48 years until my MiL's death.

I suppose Mrs. P. owes her existence to the Coventry raid therefore :icon_eek:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It must have worked because there are plenty of bomb craters still to be seen in the woods and fields around here. In one case you follow the line of an entire stick of six bombs!

I spent much of my young life playing in the ponds left in the craters :icon_eek: There is still lots of reminders all over the city. I live next door but one to Coventry airport, and just across the fence, all overgrown is a machine gun bunker. The foxes use it as a den and sit on top of it screeching at night.

Pete, great story! Were they permanent residents or did they come here to work in the city? My grandparents also got together during the war.

I am hoping to build a whole (lunar) calendars worth of full moon pictures. I started last month with a pic of the "Harvest Moon", taken over a long disused windmill. This picture has the "Hunter's Moon", but it seemed appropriate to take the name of the operation to coventrate Coventry, "Moonlight Sonata" as the title for this one.

The next full moon is the "Cold Moon", I am still thinking of a fitting context for that one :)

If anybody is interested, the names of the full moon phases can be found here, and we can thank the Native Americans for them ;)

SPACE.com -- Full Moon Names for 2009

Cheers

TJ

Pete, great story! Were they permanent residents or did they come here to work in the city? My grandparents also got together during the war.
Temporary I think - my F-i-L was doing something rather hush-hush in the armaments business (one reason for the raid), M-i-L was a teacher. Soon after, they left Coventry, F-i-L was transferred to Leicester...

Archived