Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

webcam imaging - which software?

Hi. I got my new telescope a few weeks ago (Celestron C8-NGT) and have started with some webcam imaging. I'm quite pleased with my first results imaging the moon but was wondering if there's a list of good (and ideally free) software to use for the several steps involved.

So far I have been recording AVIs with K3CCD tools, stacking with Registax 5, stitching with MS Image Composite Editor and some final improvements with GIMP.

What software are you using?

I'm still in the 30 day free trial for K3CCDtools and I'm especially interested in a free alternative for AVI recording before making the decision to buy K3CCDtools. This should be on Windows as I'm using my work laptop for that. :icon_eek:

The webcam I'm using is a Philips SPC900NC.

Maybe it would be a good idea to compile a list of useful software for astro imaging? Or have I just not found it.

yesyes

I don't do much webcam work, but when I have done I've found K3 very confusing.

I now use Craterlet for capture (freeware from Starklabs, who also do the excellent PHD guiding software).

It's really straightforward with no bells and whistles.

Any stacking I do is done in Registax.

Cheers

Rob

QCfocus was the one I used when webcam imaging (well, the DMK is a webcam too, but I use IC Capture). It was the only one that didn't drop frames on my laptop. It doesn't have a histogram feature though (I used WXAstrocapture for that).

Thanks a lot! I'll give these 2 a go...

Have you had a chance to look at the moon image I linked to in my post above? Opinions welcome ;-)

Hi, I'm impressed - I've downloaded MS ICE and I think I'll now have a go at a composite using my Neximage next time there's a clear sky with the moon up to capture some AVIs.

Incidentally, I have used a number of capture programmes and prefer K3CCD Tools comapred to the rest - there is a free version by the way.

Keep up the excellent work.

Brinders :icon_eek:

Archived