NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SW Skymax 80

TheThing

I've been after a small Mak for a little while as a 'grab and go' and finally found one from this very site!

Quick trip into Kent earlier in the week and it was picked up from Dave's neighbour, Colin - many thanks to both!

The Mak in question is brand new, looks like the box was only opened to check the contents. It comes with an EQ1 mount and a table top tripod; 90 degree diagonal, 2x Barlow and the usual SW 10mm and 25mm EPs and a RDF.

The quality is very good - as you'd expect from SW. Everything is good and solid. I discovered that it is a simple job to just connect the EQ1 mount to my EQ3-2 tripod.

I've only managed about 10 mins with it since pick up on Wednesday! Too much fog and cloud. But suffice to say I've been blown away by it already! Yep, it's tiny 80mm, but with a 1000mm focal length it gives f11.25. I managed to get a quick squint at the moon as was very impressed by the quality of the image produced in my EP. With a 6mm Williams SWL the moon was fantastic! Really rich in detail and almost 3D.

I had about 20 secs to look at Jupiter before the fog rolled in completely. Although it was quite small in the FOV, I could clearly see banding on the planet and 3 moons.

I'm very impressed. So impressed that I've already put my 80mm Celestron refrator up for sale as surplus to requirements. I can't wait to get out and use it more and it will be invaluable when travelling to stay with rellies as an ideal travel scope.

I can see now why SW Maks are well loved. Perhaps I should start thinking about a larger one as well?

Sounds like a great wee scope, Thing ;). I used to own an Orion ( USA ) 5" mak a few years ago and it is the scope I most regret selling.:p

It was outstanding on the Moon and planets and was so good looking too !:(

The only drawback was long cooldown times which made "grab and go" a bit of a non-starter , but otherwise it was a winner.

Glad you like it Hugh, I don't think cool down will be too much of an issue on the small mak, bit different on my 127. Plus keeping it outside will make a difference.

Hope the skies clear for you to use it soon, I was quite impressed at what it could do for its size.

cheers

Dave

Archived