Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

pier

bvbknighton

• 2 weeks later...

My understanding is that a good rule of thumb is a minimum of the same diameter as the scope you're mounting on it. Obviously, if your sticking a very long focal length refractor on a heavy mount on top of the pier, you might want to add a few inches to the pier diameter. You really can't over-engineer a telescope pier.

I've found a piece of 6 inch diameter steel pipe, three-eighths of an inch thick. I am thinking about welding a piece of half inch flat steel ,eighteen inches square,to the lower end and bolting this to a cubic yard of concrete in the ground. As to the pipes length, it can be cut any length I need.

• 10 years later...

Hi there sorry for bringing up the old thread! 
I wish to place a pier through my garden decking. I only wish to remove one decking plank for cosmetic reasons. 

Hopefully I  could get away with a 6 inch PVC pipe filled with concrete and a large base underneath the decking. Although my telescope at the moment is it 8 inch 200p with the Dslr, guide scope and HEQ5. 

do you think I can get away with this 6 inch pipe? 

a) Using a Vauxhall Corsa disk brake would I have enough room in the diameter to sink the securing upside down bolts ? 

b) and if I made a sufficient foundation and it will be secure enough do you think? It would have to be quite high maybe 2 m to clear the decking 😬😬

Thanks 

Edited by 8324689