SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Aligning on things

Not sure what I have done lol. I own a Skywatcher 130pl and have just bought a laser collimator and think I have set it up. This is what I used: 28631d1256499983t-1-25-fit-laser-colli-laser-002.jpg I put it in and spun it round in the eye piece and adjusted the grub screws till it stayed in the middle. Adjusted the small top mirror till the it was in the middle of the main big mirror. Then looked into the scope and adjusted the big mirror till there was only 1 dot in the reflection. Just been looking at the moon and Jupiter and the view is really clear. I can even see the banding which I could only just make out before. When I try to align it say on Jupiter with the finder scope using the 2 eye open method, when Jupiter is in the middle of the cross hairs its off to one side in my view (Both eyes open). When its in the cross hairs (And off to one side in my 2 eye view) its aligned in the scope. What have done lol

Have you tried checking the alignment of your finder scope in daylight on a distant target, assuming that you use the same eye to observe with cover the eye not being used with an eye patch, my wife used to suffer with image shift at target Archery, when using both eyes open, the patch cured the problem, looked a right numpty and was often asked where her Parrot was.

John.

Just as Glowjet says - the alignment of the finder and telescope are out.

As you had Jupiter in the FOV of the eyepiece all you needed to do was adjsut the plastic screws on the finderscope braket. It is always worth checking alignment of the finder (in daylight) on a regular basis as even a slight knock will put it out of alignment.

Mike

So how do I align the scope and finder? They are aligned together fine (If I look in the finder scope and get the cross hairs on a target the scope is also on target). Sounds like my eyes are out when using both eyes lol

Sorry Leegsi I'm confused. In you first post you said

"when Jupiter is in the middle of the cross hairs its off to one side in my view"

So the finder and scope cannot be accurately aligned otherwise the image in the EP would be in the centre not the edge. The finder is held in place by two plastic screws and a third metal spring loaded fitting. The two screws adjust the finder position.

Mike

Archived