Money to spend - On what ?

Hi

Ive been messing around for a while now, ive been playing around with my dlsr and some very basic imaging (just with the dlsr), i have learnt my way round the sky to a reasonable degree and can do so much with my 10x5 Binos, like so many i have been reading reviews etc with a view to a serious investment, its just so difficult, so much choice but made harder by my changing requirments, so I thought I would list what i want to do and a budget and see what thoughts are.

So What do i want to do in order

Visual Observing, DSO, Planets

Imaging - Really want to get into this but biased to DSO rather than planets - happy to use my dslr so start with but would like to be able to use a CCD in the future

Im a bit of a techie so simplicity is not required and set up time etc is not an issue - (i really enjoy the technical element)

So that seems simple really ?

I would like Goto and the facility for guided imaging, ideally get something which is upgradable (if possible)

Budget - £1500 (incl VAT) is my limit

Any suggestions really appreciated.

Regards

John B

You may well end up with a couple of telescopes - one for observing, the other for imaging. I'd suggest EQ6 synscan for the mount (£890) and then a good ED80 or ED100 refractor. This will give you something eminently suitable for imaging DSOs and good for visual for planetary, double stars and asterisms. For nebulae and galaxies, you really want aperture so the bigger the better - and then you're into dobsonian territory....

just a quick note to point out an error in your list above. Set-up time is always an issue as you will find out. It doesn't come down to enjoying the business of setting up either, the objective when setting up for imaging is to image, not just to set the gear up. Clouds come in quicker than you will believe so if you can build a system with one eye on the ease with which you can set it up you will be better off.

Dennis

With what I know now and with your budget I would get the following.

Steppenwolfs book "making every photon count" - a very good book for newbies getting into astro imaging.

Mount EQ6 Pro - spend the money on this mount, it is future proof for bigger kit.

SW 80ED pro refractor or 8" F/4 to F/5 Newt (but you will need coma corrector)

If you have a laptop or a spare computer you can put near your observing position get a QHY5 guider and stick it on a secondhand finderscope....auto guiding really helps!!

I believe the mount is most critical for AP don't skimp here but you can always go the secondhand route to save a bit of cash.

Pete

As people have said, the mount is often an overlooked component and is if anything, the most important so don't skimp, get the EQ6 and know that you've got yourself covered.

If you want hassle free imaging to start with, look at the small (90mm and smaller) refractors. No collimation worries, short focal length which makes life easier in many ways and you don't have to spend a lot of money either. Lots of people start with an ED80 and keep it as they move on for a good reason, it's not bad at all optically.

Tony..

Archived