Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron Nexstar 102 Refractor Battery Pack question

Decided to restart a teenage hobby - (I'm now 47). I recently purchsed a Celestron Nexstar 102 Refractor witha 2x Barlow lens as an accessory which I feel will be a vast improvement over my old 2.5 "toy". Due to cloud I have only managed to view Jupiter & it's moons at low res. Looked like a big star with 4 little ones in a line. Was about to put in 9mm eyepiece & rotton clouds killed it! (Guess I'll have to get used to that.)! Seems to work at least. Have heard this scope is battery hungery & am looking for a cost effective rechageable battery pack to connect to it. Obviously I need the right plug to connect to the scope. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what is available from Maplins or the like. Alternatively any online shops where I could obtain such an item. Bot too sure what the plug type is, possibly a run of the mill 12V charger type. The Celestron pack look good but seems to be a bit pricey. IS it worth the £££ or can i do a lot better??

;)

Thanks in advance to all helpers!

Hmm - I picked up a cheap 7Ah battery pack from LIDL for mine (about 10 pounds if I remember). Runs the thing for hours with no problem. You have to keep your eye open though as LIDL rotate their stock seeingly randomly. The other cheap stores probably do something similar.

The pack has cigarette lighter socket, and you can use the same cable to the mount as comes with the HEQ5s (I interchange both quite freely).

NigelM

Finally decided to go for the Challenge Jukmpstart Rechargeable(17Ah), as discussed in the following topic:-

http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/75635-power-tank.htm

I pruchased mine from Argos & paid £35.99 this also included the correct lead to my telescope. Great value for money when you consider that the Celestron equivalent is £108!! Great too, that it has a light, (which you can easily cover with red film), as well as other accessory outputs: 3v, 6v & 9v.

Highley recommended! ;):hello2:

Archived