NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Observatory PC protection

Im thinking of putting an old desktop PC in the obs and was wondering about longevity with varying temperatures and conditions throughout the year. I seem to remember there was a thread on here awhile back on similar lines but I cant find it on search.

I dont want to leave it on permanently, I understand some folk leave a lamp on in the case, Im not too fond of that idea either. Would the hard drive give up after a winter due to having to start up in -2 conditions.

I use a lappy at the moment and carry it down there which is convenient but I am thinking of future remote operation with network so could do with something permanent down there. The obs is dry and now relatively spider free ;) its just temperature conditions that could kill a PC methinks.

Any experiences??

Ta

Phil

Phil,

We use a generic desktop to run our 31" and planetarium software. Up to last year, we had no issues. However, one night the temperature dropped to 0ºF (started out the night at 6ºF) and it had some issues. For the record, this was the coldest we had ever observed. Normally, the temperature seldom drops below 10ºF and the computer will still run. The dome is unheated and the desktop is powered down after each session. Hope this helps.

John

All you have to avoid is condensation forming on the HDD, so either leave the PC on (in sleep mode to save power) or as been suggested a low wattage light bulb in the PC case will do fine. All the other components should be fine in anything the UK weather has to offer.

My work laptop and spare laptop have lived in the unheated office for 3 years now. Last winter we got down to about -8C round here but there were no problems with it at all.

Only thing I do is have a little oil fired rad with comes on in the morning for half hour to take the chill off before I start work and is on during the day if I'm working in the office.

Archived