NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

a good cheap polar finder scope

whats a good cheap polar finder scope to fit on a nexstar 5 and where do I get 1

If I recall the Nexstar 5 is an alt-aziumuth mounted GOTO scope ?

I think you just need to level the tube and point it North as part of the set up process. I'm not sure how you would use a polar scope with it ;)

John

The Nexstar 5 IS fundamentally an Alt-Az GoTo ( I have the Nexstar 4 which uses the same mount).

You can use the supplied tripod tripod as a wedge but as far as I know you cant use a polar scope with it. I've never used the polar alignment routine with mine so I cant say how good a job it does.

Basically you set the scope up in a vertical position, tilt the wedge over to correspond to you latitude. Select EQ align on the handset the scope slews to where it thinks Polaris is then you look through the EP and centre polaris by tipping/adjusting the wedge or moving the mount around.

I assume the electronics gubbins calculates any offset.

As a result you dont need a polar scope. Can I ask why you think you need one ?

Archived