Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Robofocus

Hi all,

I would like to know if anyone is using the robofocus and if they are happy with it.

I have a 80ED I will use with it and the reason I am interested in it is because it is adaptable to other scope.

Thanks to share your experience

Jerry

Hello Jerry.

I used to have a 14 inch LX200, and used Robofocus on that as the focus position changed quite a lot with temperature and Robofocus can compensate for temperature changes once you've calibrated it.

I still have the Robofocus unit, and am just about to get a bracket so I can use it on my TMB152. The reason I'm going to use it is not for ease or accuracy of focus, as the feathertouch focuser used with a Bahtinov mask is just as good, but for temperature compensation.

I also use a william optics 80mm scope, but because of the short tube and focal length, I find I rarely have to adjust focus as it doesn't shrink much as the temperature drops. The bigger a scope, the more the focus shifts, unless it's made using a material with low thermal expansion characteristics.

With your 80mm scope, I think you might not see much benifit compared to the outlay of money for robofocus.

For a bigger scope doing astrophotography though, I'd thoroughly reccomend it.

Cheers

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks a lot

I see it as an investment cause I plan to buy a larger refractor in the next couple of years (Taka or TEC). So this is part of project.

And it will help me to work remotely during cold nights:p

Clear sky

Jerry

Archived