NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Spider vanes

I've been wondering about curved vanes as they give better images (allegedly) but it strikes me that they would have to be stiffer and therefore thicker otherwise the secondary mirror would "boing" quite a bit. I was going to make some curved vanes out of hacksaw blades (which look beefier than the standard vanes on my skywatcher) but a quick try with one blade showed the idea to be flawed. The choice is then to go for thicker stuff with more loss in image quality (not good I think) or maybe three straight vanes would be another option as there will be no opposite vanes to reinforce the diffraction pattern.

I await your opinions Gentlemen and Lady

Captain Chaos

Also curved spider vains are LONGER than straight ones (think of how the crow flies) and the difraction spikes caused by the obstruction is still there but smeared across the whole image. It's purely a esthetical personal preference. Some people like spikes, some people dont. Depends if you take images for esthetics or for scientific study.

The curved vane looks wobbly. It must be made from something exotic to have enough torsional stiffness otherwise the tilt of the Dob. would make the secondary move about. He's even got the secondary on an extension for extra leverage.

As I have a hexagonal cage tube, it going to be three straight vanes for now at least. Once I need to get rid of the spikes I might get into fancy composites and try a curved vane.

BTW Ian, qualified doesn't come into it IMHO. Your link was much appreciated and the guy makes a living out of making nice telescopes so I think that that would make him qualified to make a judgement. It is going to be my design, as in my responsibility WRT the construction techniques, materials etc. Your advice is welcomed as much as anybody else's.

The free advice available here is a wonderful resource because it is based on personal experience for the most part and links to technical reports by experts makes up the rest. Thanks for the link.

Captain Chaos

Curved spiders introduce less diffraction spikes compared to straight vanes. The wavefront of the light entering the telescope is affected in a non-linear manner with the curved vane, therefore producing more contrast, not less. Strength is gained by adding material in along the optical axis. This allows the thickness to remain the same, thus the same optical footprint. Views through both types, side by side, the curved spider wins every time, imho. I have a curved vane in my design for the 16" F/5.

Here is a photo of one made by an acquaintance of mine. He used aluminum hex rod for the secondary holder, and 1/16" x 3/4" aluminum sheet for the vanes. He says it is very rigid. The photo is before he painted it flat black. He got the shape by bending the aluminum around a suitably sized cylindrical object.

Archived