NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dust bunnies on new DMK

Whilst imaging Jupiter last night I noticed several large blobs (5 or 6) on the preview screen of the capture software on the laptop. :D

This is a new cam which I’ve been very careful with. I replaced the protector it’s shipped with for the nose piece. This has a UV filter. The cam is therefore effectively a sealed unit. The CCD has been exposed to the air for no more than 30 secs. I’ve no idea where the specs of whatever came from?

I’ve blasted the CCD with my rocket blower and there is still one pesky spot that won’t move. I’m loathed to touch the CCD. I do have a Celestron lens pen cleaner thingy. Is it OK to use this? If not what do you recommend?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Cheers

Jon

I wouldn't touch it an any price. Not without getting the go-ahead from someone who really knows. You've tried blowng so why not try sucking? I have used our Dyson for optical suction cleaning with good results! I use the nozzle tool and make sure I don't touch anything.

But you are sure it is on the chip, not the filter?

Olly

Olly

Has anyone else had this problem?

Cheers

Jon

Hi Jon,

Yup, mine suffers from it too :D. I used a cotton wool swab and a little IPA (not India Pale Ale!!) however it doesn't completely remove the problem. Doing it whilst the camera is on you can see enormous fibres and the alcohol evaporating - cool.

Must get an air blower...

I guess some flat frames would help get rid of them though

Some good advice. Thank you. Must try the Dyson :D

Alternatively, take a look here (Stefan is an TIS engineer):

The Imaging Source Community - View Single Post - Need to clean the ccd sensor of my DMK

That's interesting... The CCD chip is actually under glass. Do not worry about touching the glass in front of the CCD chip. It is pretty robust. Only by rubbing glass, sand or diamond on the surface can it be scratched.

Should be reasonably safe to have a clean. I think my lens pen is very similar to one recommended in the article.

Thanks Andy :)

Archived