NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

homemade dob setting circles

mine has never worked :D

1.. my wixey keeps freezing - it worked for a bit when I put in a new battery but then froze again. Anyone else had this problem?

2. does the gound have to be completely flat? i thought not because the wixey would still show alt correctly even if the ground was sloping but is that right?

3. I recall somewhere seeing that you had to set your software to Universal Time (which is not BST I think?) - is that right?

Thanks all

Dan

1. I have a wixey and it's very reliable, never freezes. I've changed the battery once in maybe a year.

2. In my experience Yes the ground needs to be level. I have the option to view from my tarmac drive which is level or the patio which looks level but is made from sandstone with a little ups and downs in it. The tarmac is alot more accurate. It's not much maybe just 0.5° but there's a difference.

3. I use CduC and I set it for BST and it's fine.

1. I have a wixey and it's very reliable, never freezes. I've changed the battery once in maybe a year.

2. In my experience Yes the ground needs to be level. I have the option to view from my tarmac drive which is level or the patio which looks level but is made from sandstone with a little ups and downs in it. The tarmac is alot more accurate. It's not much maybe just 0.5° but there's a difference.

3. I use CduC and I set it for BST and it's fine.

I'd guess that is because the Wixey only measures the angle in a single plane. If the tube has a sideways tilt because the ground isn't reasonably level it will read out (it will then only read accurately when the scope is pointing straight up or down the slope).

1. To date, my Wixey has been reliable.

2. You need as flat a surface as you can get to increase the reliability of the manual setting circles. I put leveling feet on my Skywatcher for that reason. I set the base down, install the tube, level it up and I'm good to go.

John

Archived