NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M31 - Help needed

So i captured nearly two hours worth of M31 last night @ 1.30 mins per sub.

I have a mac so have run all the subs and darks through 'Nebulosity' (please excuse all the weird lines on the JPG below but im only running Nebulosity in demo mode at the moment so it saves images with lines all over them) and touched up a little with GIMP (really didnt know what i was doing and realised its only 8bit)

Now my question is that i dont seem to have that much definition (i.e clouds/dust) or any real colour at all?! (seem to see blues on here and the net etc)

Or am i just expecting too much from the equipment i have? (i.e. to get definition/colours you need 5 min subs?) or do i need more subs over a range of exposure lengths?

Taken on Canon 5D through Megrez 90 with WO field flattener yesterday evening.

662509095_sJTua-M.jpg

It looks like there is detail in there. If yu have vmware fusion or paralllels desktop then install dss and restack them. In terms of editing I think some local contrast adjusments will sort it out nicely, have a look at Martinb's tutorial. I can't get at the link at the mo I'm afraid I'm using a mobile.

Archived