Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First view of M42

Set my alarm for 3am this morning as Orion is high in the sky and over my back garden at this time. Ventured out with all the world seemingly asleep around me - I never realised what a magical time this was - the night was full of stars. Took me a while to line up on the nebula but when I saw it - wow! I was blown away! Stayed up until about 4am just watching and admiriing what I was seeing for the first time. Went back to bed a happy man!:o

Had to share this with the forum, as the wife wasn't the least bit interested!

ps. Would love to try for the horsehead nebula - any tips?

Fantastic time isn't it. M42 is a wonderful object to observe as for the horsehed this is almost impossible withoiut the aid of a H-Beta filter which then allows certain hydrogen lines through to your eyes and blocks everything else.

The last clear night I had ended with Orion climbing above the mountains. I swung the scope around and began to sort out where I was through the finder scope & bang there is was really clear in the finder. I too spent a good hour just looking, can't wait for Orion to be higher in the sky so I can see him from the garden! :o

Rather than have to pack everything in the car and move further west away from the mountains, only to find that its cloudy when I get to a good dark site!! :)

Clear dark skies to all.

Archived