Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

finding true north

rowan46

I have just got a nexstar 5 on a wedge tripod cost me all the spare cash I had. so being broke and tight. I wondered if I set my hiking gps to 90.00degrees N and 00.00Wthis should give me a direction for the N. pole and then set my wedge for latitude. will this give me a more accurate polar alignment than sighting at polaris I really can't afford a polar aligning scope at the moment and I was hoping to take some photo's

I am guessing you will struggle with any lengthy (1min + subs).

We generally only use North to sit the tripod / scope and to aid in finding Polaris. Polaris is not actually on true north, it is off center and hence the polar scopes to aid you getting it as close as possible.

Some people manage to get 2 - 5 min subs with polar scope only, but to be honest, I don't hold much hope for you if you do it with a compass and a telescope.

If you are using a short camera lens, under 300mm you may get away with 1min subs.

Don't forget you need to do azimuth as well (angle upwards from the vertical) as well as north.

Archived