Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First observations witha purpose!

Scubadude

Hi All,

After saying "hello" here recently (http://stargazerslounge.com/welcome/87447-hello-dorset.html#post1287143) I thought I ought to have a decent crack at observing with the purpose of seeing something specific rather than my previous pointing and looking method or just looking at the biggest/brightest target approach (not that my views of the Moon, Jupiter and Saturn have dissapointed!)

Following advice on here I downloaded and got Stellarium up and running, have to say I'm impressed- very easy to setup and use, very easy to follow interface and since I don't have a GOTO scope most useful in finding objects.

Given the direction of my garden, neighbours outside lighting (GRRR) and that the scope was last set to view Jupiter I started out looking for M15. My scope has a motor drive but no clutch so is abit of hassle to change in that access unless you crank it around by hand, so targets "in that area" where an easy first attempt.

Started out with binoculors to get the general feel for the area and get the scope on target, took guidance from the triangle formed by Jupiter, Altair and Enif to point me in the right direction then after abit of hunting with the scope found M15 exactly where it was supposed to be!

As expected nothing more than a fuzzy star with the 4.5" scope but chuffed to find it.

Started packing up and reset scope into its indoor parking position then realised it was pointing oiver the roof into a darkish area, quick check on Stellarium which predicted M31 to be coming into view.

Quick scan with the binos off the "box" of pagasus into Andromeda to find the arm and there it was! Seeing as my 10x50's could see it the scope stood a good chance and after a short search had it dialed in- again its just a fuzzy star but with a hint of oval to it.

So- I can find things, after a fashion and the limited performance of my scope is clear but I could at least see M15 despite is magnitude.

Next time I'll set the circles on the scope properly so I can input the location directly off Stellarium and see if I can reduce the hunting time!

Any reccomendations on what might be a better target bearing in mind the limitations of the scope?

Cheers,

BEN

Any reccomendations on what might be a better target bearing in mind the limitations of the scope?/QUOTE]

Along with what iamjulian recommended, I recommend the tighter open clusters.

For example, a favourite of mine, the Double Cluster in Perseus, is stunning, beautiful with bins and beautiful with scopes. I can only see half at a time with scope, and it's still nice.

• 5 months later...

I found this thread by chance, sorry to be a bit late.

You mention that your scope has no clutch. It's a Tal 1M ?

If so, then it does have a clutch. Two in fact. One is the motor clutch, which is viewable through the side port hole. The RA clutch can be seen through the back port hole. It's the big 4" or so plate with 3 sprung screws. Sounds like your mount's RA clutch has been cranked up far too tight, which means when you grab the scope and counterweight bar and try to move it, it won't budge. It should be able to be moved freely.

Maybe you know this now? If so sorry. But if not, let me or the folks on the Tal User Group know and we can get it sorted.

Cheers,

Andy.

Archived