Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Woe and success - 12.09.09

TheThing

21:15hrs - 22:45hrs

SW ST 102mm, f4.9

Lovely and clear again, so set up for a quick session. Have been spoilt by the number of good nights we've had recently.

Started out trying for M31 - I seem to have been bitten by this DSO bug following the previous observing session. M31 has always been my Nemisis. For many years, I could never find it. Only 'bagged' it for the 1st time last autumn with the scope my dad left me.

M31 is considered by many to be any easy object to view and, in some cases, a naked eye one. However, on the outskirst of London, it is near impossible to see at any time. Spent half an hour going up and down, back and forth but nothing, so gave up!

Wanted to have a look at Altair close up, as I often use it as a marker, but have never studied it. Got on it straight away and was pleasantly surprised to find it a lovely, bold golden colour. At first, I thought I'd overshot and got onto Albreio, but then I realised there was no blus companion. Very nice to gaze at for a while.

Next up was Jupiter. I do enjoy my planets and will look at them nightly if possible! Once again, it was superb! 3 moons clearly evident and four bands very visible on the planet's 'surface'. No GRS as yet though.

Was getting cold at this point and I'd had some success. Was just about to pack up, when I thought I'd have another bash at M31. Much more up and down, to and fro, zig-zagging around, with still nothing. Really was going to pack up again when I suddenly spotted it! At last - just a very faint, smokey smudge, still in London's LP. The LP filter with larger EPs brought it out slightly, but it was easy to miss (hence my earlier frustration!)

Was able to pack up with that warm, fuzzy feeling inside again.

(NB - you'll notice that my usual method of observing is short and sweet. I like to go out for an hour or two at most, with a couple of targets in mind. That's enough for me.)

Archived