NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Meade 5000 series EP - diagram required

Searched round for this and can find nothing.

All that is said is that the eyepiece consists of 5 elements, I assume that there are 2 cemented doubles and a single.

If this is correct then the question is where does the single go, first or centre?

I guess that as Meade do not specify then no-one has the option to display the construction.

At this time all I can suggest is an email to Meade.

I assume that there was more then just bits of glass that came out? As in the odd spacer or two?

Are all the lens the same diameter?

I ask as it may be possible to deduce a probable order of the lens, the orientation is another matter.

Hi,

There are three lenses (two double and one single) plus two spacers.

Meade's website says contact the supplier. I hope they (Telescope Planet) can help.

If I get a drawing I'll post it as I did find a few other poor souls in the same jamb.

Weird that there is nothing on the web. I had to re-assemble a fishing reel recently and found a full exploded view of that on the web.

Maybe, three bits of glass and two rings are so easy you don't need a diagram?

Terry

Weird that there is nothing on the web. I had to re-assemble a fishing reel recently and found a full exploded view of that on the web.

I think it's because the brands don't want the details of the optical configuration they use to be in the public domain - even if it is rather simple !.

John

I found a file called www.astrosurf.com/re/evolution_of_eyepieces.pdf.

This has the general layout for a million types of eyepieces.

The 5 element Plossl is more like a modified Erfler EP than anything else.

I still had to mess around to get the lenses sitting properly with respect to the spacers but there is only one way that they seat properly (thankfully).

Not easy to rebuild dust free though. Too much dog hair around.

It tests out ok in the light so I'll see what happens in the dark later today.

Terry

Archived