Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Double Double Trouble

Mikea

OK. I tried. I couldn't split them (Epsilon Lyr). Even with x2 and a 5mm lens in my 130P which would have given me 260x mag. A nice double, but not a double double :). My collimation is good, my EP's may be the problem though. The 5mm is the Skywatcher LER which, I am told, is not particularly good. I also looked at Zeta Lyr while I was there - no problem with that beauty. Managed to find M57 again too.

Never mind, it was fun trying to split the double double and when I looked round, I was surprised to see an old friend:- the Pleiades in the Eastern sky :).

It's probably not you or the scope, i've always found that the seeing plays a big part in being able to split the Double Double, especially the northern pair. They have a wider magnitude difference than the southern pair does. Keep trying, one of these nights they'll split wide enough to drive a bus through. :)

Archived