NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

William Optics VR-1 Filter - Any Good ?

This "minus violet" type filter seems very reasonable for a 2" filter - can anyone report on it's performance ?.

I'm thinking of this sort of filter for use with a 127mm F/9.4 achro refractor - not that the chromatic aberration is that distracting TBH.

Are there any negative effects of using these sorts of filters - noticable loss of contrast, sharpness etc ?. If there are noticable downsides I can probably live with the CA that this scope shows.

Thanks,

John

I've never used that actual filter John but the one I have (the Baader Fringe) gives things a yellow tinge that I find more objectionable than the CA.

If your f9.4 is like mine was you may find (like I did) there wasn't really enough false colour to warrant the filter and yellow tinge.

Obviously its down to personal tastes....

I've got a 1.25" and it does a really nice job on my fast achros but TBH the slow f/8.3 really doesn't need it except on Luna and Jupiter. To me, the sepiatone discoloration is preferable to the CA on the fast scopes (both f/5) and seems to improve the focus and contrast.

Just out of curiosity you might want to experiment with a plain yellow filter, though. I've heard reports that on slow scopes the results are pretty much the same as using a CA filter and the price is a lot better. :D

Thanks for the feedback folks. As the CA in the 127 / F9.4 does not bother me I think I'll save the funds for another purpose.

Many thanks to FLO for the offer of a loan of one to try by the way - typically helpful service there :D

John

Archived