How do i connect a camera to my telescope

lennon890

I was wondering if anybody could please answer a question for me?

I have recently bought a Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 150PL EQ3-2; i think that it is a great telescope. I have viewed Jupiter and the Earth's Moon through it and i was wondering how i would connect a camera to it? On the website that i purchased the telescope from it states that the telescope comes with a 'X2 Deluxe Barlow Lens 1.25" (with Camera Adaptor)', I was wondering if the X2 Deluxe Barlow Lens 1.25" is the camera adaptor or if it is a totally separate part. At the moment i use the Barlow lens to increase the magnification.

So my main question is what do i need to take a photograph through it, do I need a certain camera, do i need to buy any other things for it, and has anybody got any photograph that they have took through one that they could send me? :)

I know, this sound like a slightly stupid question but it would really help me if some body could answer my question. Thank You,

-Lennon890 :D

No such thing as stupid questions...

Yes, you can connect a camera to this scope and take images.

The basic method is to use a webcam type camera with the lens removed and replaced with a 1.25" nosepiece. This can then be put into the focuser ( like an eyepiece) to give images.

Similarly a DSLR, like a Canon 350D can be fitted using a 1.25" to T thread nosepiece and a T thread to EOS connector to mount the camera body. Depending on your focuser movement this may not focus correctly ( you need about 60mm of space) and sometimes it's necessary to move the main mirror up the tube by a few mm to get focus.

Alternatively you can use the "afocal" method with a Point and shoot fixed lens camera. Focus a low power eyepiece ( say, a 25mm) then place the camera directly behind the eyepiece so that the camera lens looks through the eyepiece and take an image.

You can buy special brackets to hold the camera in position on the telescope.

Either of these methods will let you image the moon or planets.

Hope this helps.

That stumped me for a while with my 250px from Skywatcher. There is a T thread on the 2" to 1.25" eyepeice holder. Inscrew the 1.25" bit and you can then attach a T thread adapter to whatever camera you are using. I started with the fuji s5700 which has threads on the lense so I used a T thread to that. Now I've moved on to a DSLR I have the T thread adapter to the camera body and all of that is screwed to the T thread on the 2" to 1.25" holder.

One problem I have come across, besides initially trying to achieve focus, was vignetting on long exposures. I've now gone for a 2" DSLMAX adapter which will go directly into the 2" ep holder so not restricting the apperture to the T thread.

I've also tried various adapters for afocal imaging but getting them lined up correctly is fiddly and wastes too much time.

Hope that helps

Regards

Keithp

Archived