Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Fly in my ED80 soup

I seem to have a small winged insect in my ED80. The little rascal has been inconsiderate enough to die right in the middle of the front glassy bit (lens cell?).

I've unscrewed the whole thing from the tube and it is definitely inside, presumably between two layers of glass.

Should I try to get it out?

Assuming it needs to come out how does the cell come apart? It looks like there is a retaining ring screwed in the front with two small holes diametrically opposite eachother - presumably for a special tool to fit.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Mike

Mike , it does unscrew all you need to make a tool is a length of dowl and a couple of panel pins the right distance apart.

Lay the glass elements out onto a soft cloth in the order / orentation that you removed them.

how the hell did it get in there ?

I wish I knew. During the recent run of clear nights, I did a bit of testing - lots of new bits. I didn't image with the ED80 but I did look through it a few times and didn't notice anything. Either it has been in there for a while and got shaken into the middle of the lens or it is a new arrival.
make a tool is a length of dowl and a couple of panel pins the right distance apart
Cheers Steve, I'll have a go while Mrs MikeP is watching Wuthering Heights.

Mike

Well that didn't take long. The bits came out very easily and were only slightly more difficult to put back - but that was only because I was being very careful not to touch the surface of the glass.

Gave it a bit of a clean with Baader Wonder fluid while I had the chance and Bob's your uncle.

Thanks again Steve.

Mike

Archived