which scope would come next?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surprisingly the Skywatcher is not a good match with either their Equinox or ED80...

The WO FRIII does work well with the ED80 but I am not sure about the Equinox (lack of feedback).

Perhaps someone with direct experience will be able to comment.

(The EOS 5D's full-size sensor is a challenge for even the best reducer/flatteners so you will still see some aberrations/vignetting at the edges).

I'm 100% in agreement with Martin and the others. Okay, you generally get what you pay for but just occasionally you seem to get something you haven't paid for! The ED80 is a fine example (I don't have one but many, many guests bring them and achieve marvellous results with them.) Another is the Meade 127 triplet apo.

To answer your question about wildlife photography, check out the Digiscoping section of the Bird Forum. (It will Google). Here you will find that the ED80 is THE instrument of choice. The bird images taken with these and a DSLR are breathtaking. I have tried most of my scopes this way - the old Genesis, a WO66 and even the monstrous Meade 127 - and results are great. What you do get is fine optics with an astroscope, but you have no fast way of getting focus. I pick a spot the birds seem to like, focus on the branch, and then wait. You need a remote release or the scope will dance about when you touch the camera.

Learn imaging with a short focus refractor. There really is no other sane way to go. An SCT is such hard work on all counts by comparison. If you can run to it the version of the ED80 with the 2 speed focusser is worth having. As SteveL says in his AN interview, focus, focus, focus...

Olly

Olly

So finally took the plunge today and went on down to our local shop.

Walked in and saw the Skywatcher Equinox 80 Pro and then noticed a WO Megrez 90 above it.... You can guess the rest :).

Having finally setup the polar scope, aligned the reticule and turned her on i remembered something on here about disengaging the clutches and parking the scope first. Parked her up and then went for a 3 star alignment, success on the first attempt! :)

So spent the last few hours having a play. Must say the Scope and the baade zoom click eyepiece are just fantastic. The clarity of the image is something to behold.

Only things we are now missing are bits for astrophotography (although will be taking the scope out a few times for a play first) So from earlier in this thread i should be looking at a Max DSLR adaptor and 2" extension piece, correct?

Thanks for all the advice, were over the moon with the new setup :)

Ended up getting the EQ6 Synscan :)

Steve sent you an email yesterday (to your questions address) in relation to astrophotography accessories that i need, has it hit your inbox?

Im sure there will be plenty more questions to come over in the astrophotograpy section yet!

Archived