NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Can't adjust my secondary...

I thought the problem was that I only had an SAE set of allen keys, so i went out and bought a metric set, but nothing I stick into the little holes in the end of the secondary holder will turn the screws, and it is a little off. The centre mark of the mirror appears to be about a half inch off centre, although my eye is reflecting back spot on, with all the cross hairs aligned.

I am considering taking the whole assembly apart, and determining the trouble, but if I have to go to China to replace the screws, I'm not going. I looked at an online manual for the C6N, but it didn't give me much info about collimating the secondary.

Any hints?

If the three adjusting screws have been over tightened, you will need to loosen the large centre screw until they are free. Hold the secondary while you do this - you will not be the first to see it drop onto the primary!

I did try that, but the centre screw wouldn't budge, but I'll try again, with more force, now that I know that's the right thing to do. Don't worry, I always do stuff like this with the scope pointing slightly down.

I'm not understanding this, do you mean that the metric and SAE allen keys both won't fit, or that the screws are so tight that you are unable to turn them.

Answer to the first possibility could be that they are Torx screws with a starfish kind of shaped hole, and to the second, use an adjustable spanner (crescent wrench?) on the Allen key to give better leverage.

Manual here http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=371-595-6068 but it doesn't mention the secondary though.

Captain Chaos

Archived