Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Minimal MODERN Laptop (Netbook)

Macavity

I was wondering if anyone has explored the capabilities of these Minimal MODERN Laptop (Netbook) etc. machines for Astronomical applications. I don't really need a "Laptop" for daily use and the battery life of small modern devices (8hrs) seem attractive. Moreover, some have small 10" etc. "wide" screens etc. ON the face of it, nice for "field" use?

Most seem to be based on the Intel Atom N270 processor @ 1.6GHz. I guess the question is, could this capture a Webcam AVI, run mount "GoTo" software etc. The fact some have Webcams infers this? Hey, I could do quite a LOT on my old Duron 1.6MHz system at the same clock-speed. :)

This is the sort of thing: Samsung N120 (Amazon link)

I have the Samsung NC10 running XP for Astro use and it's perfect, long battery life and easily capable of running PHD, AstroArt + TheSky (the screen is small, so I usually maximise each one and then switch with Alt+Tab). It's fine with a DMK at 60fps too.

Only change I made was to double the RAM from 1Gb to 2Gb for about £15

In netbook terms the NC10 is relatively expensive, I picked up a HP2133 with 2Gb for not much more than £100 - at the moment it runs Linux for email and web-surfing around the house, but would also be more than capable of Astro-tasks.

I picked up the Intel Desktop Board D945GCLF2 with Integrated Intel Atom Processor 1.6g dual core. chucked it in a shuttle with 2gb and am using that. it works well. the board is cheap and only lacks memory. running Maxim DL, ACP and carte du ciels with remote desktop.

It is the same board that is in some of the netbooks..

Neil C

Having had a few of these now (Asus eeePC, HP 2133 and Samsung NC10) my experience has been that the deals come and go, so it's worth going for whatever's on offer when you buy rather than going for any particular model - the Atom-based ones all seem broadly similar to me.

I picked up the Intel Desktop Board D945GCLF2 with Integrated Intel Atom Processor 1.6g dual core. chucked it in a shuttle with 2gb and am using that. it works well. the board is cheap and only lacks memory. running Maxim DL, ACP and carte du ciels with remote desktop.

I have almost exactly the same thing running Ubuntu as my 'desktop' machine - works very well.

Eventually "plumped" for the Samsung NC10. I couldn't see the advantages of the N120? If anything, I prefer the slightly smaller size, the MATTE screen etc. The "Shiny Black" case may have been a mistake, from an Astro (fingerprint!) POV, but otherwise... :)

Anyway, it's done everything I've asked of it thus far. The cut-down version of MaxIm DL and driver for my Orion SSCI work. At the moment, I'm looking at Stellarium... The "~15 FPS" is about the same as my (admittedly dated) minimal-graphics desktop PC. I have hopes it will eventually drive my Skywatcher GoTo, via ASCOM etc. In short, just GREAT! :)

Archived