Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2x or 3x barlow?

2x or 3x Tal?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. 2x or 3x Tal?

Hey everyone, i'm looking to buy a Tal barlow but im unsure what to get, it will be for use with a SW 200p on an eq mount. I have a 25mm and 10mm that came with the scope and a Badder genuine ortho 6mm. Im also considering a Meade 4000 zoom ep, im only a beginner so could someone give me some pros and cons of these accessories:)

Thanks, James

Hi James,

I'm not sure that a Poll is the best way to find out what you need as it does not allow explanations which will help you more.

I think the 3 eyepieces you already have give you a reasonable range of magnfications to get you started. I'd suggest that you use those for a while before adding to / changing them.

Both the barlow lenses you mention are decent quality for what they cost but you will probably not use them that much as the magnfication they provide is more than you can usefully use on most nights.

If I were you I would be looking to get a low power eyepiece such as a 32mm plossl next. I'm not a great fan of zoom eyepieces personally, apart from the Hyperion and Nagler zooms which are great but rather expensive.

John

I agree with John, I don't think either option will add much to your setup (and I don't like zoom eyepieces apart from the Nagler either!). A 32mm Plossl is a good suggestion, or something intermediate between the 10mm and 25mm (say 15mm-18mm).

The Tal Barlow has a good reputation, and although I have never used one, I am sure it will not let you down. I built my ep collection around the fact that I have always used a 2x Barlow, but I could have done the same with a 3x Barlow. A 1.5x Barlow would be more useful, as I could simply double the power of each ep, and the Barlow would fill in the gaps. I have to be a little more clever with a 2x Barlow.

A high power Barlow is useful for asstrophotography, as it works directly on the focal length of the telescope, if that makes sense.

Archived