Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

An hour on my back

I got home from visiting my daughter tonight at about 10:00, and shortly went out into the garden with a glass holding about 100 ml of Screech and filled up with Diet Pepsi, and set up a reclining chair in a position that gave me a good look at the sky overhead and to the east. I very quickly saw a satellite (Seasat 1) and an Iridium Flare that I hadn't planned for (Ir 91 at mag -8) several aircraft, but no Perseids. I can usually count on at least one or two, even though my skies are very thick. (I can see none of the stars int he handle of the Lillte dipper, and no stars in the Great Square of Pegasus, and Albireo only by indirect vision.) I reckon my limiting magnitude was about 3.5, even when the neighbour turned off his porch lights. However, this was a washout for me, too.

OK, no Perseids tonight, either, although I picked up Iridium 52, one I hadn't seen before, and an unknown satellite at about mag 3.5 with no description in Heavens Above. A restful observing session, though, shared with a glass of Pilsner Urguell.

I saw a mag -8 Iridium flare at 2154 hrs on Wednesday night - I don't think they get any brighter than that. I was at a Perseid star party and told everyone to look ENE at alt. 50 degrees at the relevant time and there it was bang on cue. Magnificent. Also saw about 25 meteors and a Jupiter transit. All that was missing was the glass of Screech - what on Earth is that, Warthog.

There are -9 flares occasionally, but they look about the same as -8 flares.

Screech is a very drinkable Jamaica rum, traditionally and still made in Jamaica and bottled in Newfoundland. Newfie fishing schooners used to take fish down to Jamaica and bring back rum.

Archived