Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

very first auto-guided attempt

rikyuu

hi,

I actually managed to have my first attempt at autoguiding last night. I thought it was going to be cloudy, but it suddenly cleared up so I gave it a go.

My test last night was to use the C8 @ F/6.3 on the CG-5 GT using the Mintron with a 120mm zoom lens fixed to the C8's camera bracket for guiding. The video output from the Mintron was captured with a USB capture device and I used Guidemaster as it had automatic calibration, so I didn't have to worry about the guide camera orientation. (PHD wouldn't work with the USB capture device). GM controlled the mount through the handset port. The zoom lens was only a tenth of the scope focal length, but I'd read that this might still work. And the lens and Mintron were compact enough to sit nicely on the C8 camera mount. My polar alignment was rough, ie, it was pointed directly at Polaris.

Initially, it wouldn't calibrate as it said the mount wasn't moving enough. I was using 'pulse guiding' so I switched to 'move axis' control. I didn't have any success with this until I set it to 60arcsec/sec, then miraculously.....it calibrated!! :)

For my first guided image with the 300d set to ISO 200, I pointed it to the Lyra double and opened the shutter for 10 minutes!! My longest exposure ever :)!!

I was amazed with the result, that is....it had actually tracked! Ok, now I know it's far from perfect with some smudging of the stars (collimation and focus are a bit out too), a few tweaks are needed in GM, also I might used the Celestron SLT60 OTA I have for a guidescope, as it has a 900mm focal length, but is still very light. However, I'm realised pleased that it actually worked, without too much of a fuss. It's definately the way forward!:p

Here is my 10 minute image, stretched and slightly sharpened in PS....complete with amp glow I think!

post-14666-133877391221_thumb.jpg

Well done on your first foray into autoguiding territory - as you must now be aware, it is a 'dark art' but even sacrificing at chicken at midnight won't help this endeavour .... You've made a good start to work on and I look forward to seeing more of your 'guided' results!

Thanks both, I'm looking forward to my next attempt. It's great that technology allows us to do this with relative ease and that people write the software for free. I particularly like the auto calibration routine in Guidemaster, I suspect aligning the camera would be a pain otherwise. Also the Mintron is great for picking up faint guide stars due to its sensitivity.

ps. Steve, I just ordered your book, I look forward to reading it!

Archived