NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron EdgeHD 11" Or William Optics FLT 132 APO Triplet

Hi All,

I'm looking to get a new scope, it will be fitting on to my EQ6 Pro mount. My main interest is imaging the moon and planets but don't want to restrict myself as i will want to do some deep sky imaging at a later date. What are your thoughts? I also have the chance of an Meade LX200 10" (EMC Coatings)

Personally i'd buy the C11 for the lunary/planetary stuff and look to supplement it with an 80mm-ish refractor for deep sky imaging in due course, that would be the best of both worlds I think.

If it must be just one 'scope then go for the refractor, as the C11 is pretty limited for deep-sky on that mount (the focal length is very long). However, i'd suggest reading up on the WO132 QC issues first - i'm certainly not saying they're all bad, but some very duff ones have made it through.

I'll ditto Ben's suggestion, the SCT's greater focal length and aperture is better suited to imaging planets and the lunar surface. Consider also the C9.25 which is something of a legend amongst planetary imagers.

It'll be interesting to see what focal ratio the dedicated HD reducer will achieve.

HTH

The C9.25 is also more manageable too if you're setting up/tearing down each night, although the C11's not a monster - the Celestrons are a fair bit lighter than the Meade OTAs.

Just for the avoidance of any doubt, all i'm saying about the WO132 is that - based on what's been reported online - if I was buying i'd (a) expect to star-test it myself, and (:) pick a dealer who'll support you. I'd suggest the forum sponsor for the latter, having had a rather poor experience with another big WO dealer who lost all interest once my card cleared :)

A C11 will work wonders visually on deepsky, I have it on the same mount and works great... about imaging with the focal reducer fine... only drawback it´s big, it takes a while to cooldown ( better add a fan or similar ) ... :)

Archived