SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Orbinar UHC Filter - any help ?

OK, so I'm now going to show everyone just how little I know about UHC filters by asking if anyone has any +ve or -ve experience of the Orbinar UHC-S filters as advertised on E-bay.

I'd be particularly pleased if FLO might give an opinion (I have sent an e-mail a few daysago, but didn't get any answers)

Thanks

Steve

Is that the one sold by Seben?

I know their Scopes are totally carp (my father in-law bought one once)

How much is it? About £40? Why not buy the Skywatcher one from FLO for just under £40?

BTW FLO was at the South West astro fair at the weekend so it might have slipped through the net besides he probably won't be able to tell you anything useful as he doesn't stock them.

Edit: sorry just noticed it's the UHC-S and I was referring to the Skywatcher UHC

I bought an Orbinar 32mm 2" eyepiece which looked identical to the rather good (for the money) performing 32mm EP's marketed under a variety of other brand names. Unfortunately the Orbinar version is not very good so I can't recommend a filter with that brand name on it.

John

Yes - it's for the 16" - why S ? Well, given the choice of a filter that is slightly more aggressive for visual light vs. one that isn't, I'd always take the latter. I was just wondering if that Orbinar is made from the same factory in downtown China that makes the Skywatcher, Baader etc etc.... after all, for some manufacturers, the brand is just a different name on the case.

If the same goes for their accessories as for their mirrors they certainly won't be rebadged Baader or SW. Having had a look through one of their scopes I wouldn't be tempted to buy anything from Seben.

TBH I don't even think they are cheaper than SW ones - I can't see that Steve does the SW UHC-S but the SW UHC is no more expensive than the Orbinar UHC on Ebay.

Not sure whether it's properties would be anything like the UHC-S but I bought an Orion SkyGlow as I thought I didn't want anything too agressive either but I'm hankering after a UHC and an OIII now for my 14" Dob. A milder filter just doesn't block enough in a big scope to make that real difference to viewing IMO.

Archived