SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Now the fun begins

Keithp

Well I finally got DSS to work, reckon my previous polar align wasn't:(

Got 16 2min shots and 2 darks. Everything has stacked okay and I've now got 177mb tif and fit files.

Now.. the next problem, was I looking at the bit of sky I thought I was:icon_scratch:.

The image is proving good practice to brush up working with Paintshop but I've just opened Sky6 to try and sort of fit it in, if you know what I mean...it's a peice of jigsaw and I'm using the cheat by looking at the picture on the box...

Problem is I don't appreciate the scale of the image to what I can see in Sky6...

I'll post a smaller image here to see if anyone else can recognise the part of the sky I was looking at. It was taken, due east at between 01:30 and 02:45 elevation was about 35'. Prime focus SW250px and Canon eos 500d. The problem I had was a patchwork of cloud had broken up the Sky to the right of the image and below it and I could'nt work out with any certainty where I was. Brighter stars that I could use for hopping worked to a limited degree, but it was difficult flicking back and forth from the laptop as I was moving around...oh and that darn moon!:)..

I'll tell you what I was after when someone confirms where I was looking it was where I thought I was looking. Unless someone correctly guesses where they think I thought I was looking at :-}

The image is just a jpg of the tiff complete with moon light. No other processing yet.

heh heh

Regards

All Keithp

PS Moderators if you feel this is the wrong place for this please feel free to move it.

post-15528-13387739061_thumb.jpg

Going to be very very hard to identify this mate.

Give us a clue what you were trying to find.. East at that time is Adromeda at about 55 degrees.

Also don't forget that the image is upside down which will add more confusion. I started by flipping them in PS before searching a map for what I took.

Tracking looks good with nice stars, but I would definately give more than 2 darks. 2 darks will only add to the noise as not enough data to balance out the noise. Take at least 5 darks IMHO.

amazes me how people can do that from a star chart. Experience and time gazing I guess

Yup, I have all this knowledge in my head ......

.....I wish! I did, of course run it through an Astrometry engine but was the engine correct?

hmmm, :)just got to wait for DSS to finish, I forgot I had another couple of darks from something I switched to later. So I've thown them in and run again.

Gimme 5 minutes and I can fire up Sky6 to see if it was near where I thought.

Regards

Keith

Heh heh:icon_salut::headbang:Steven, you win!

If you're right, and I don't doubt for one second, then it means I was close to my intended target, and maybe even caught it but can't see it yet! Is M33 off to the left of it, about mid way between that star and the brightish one on the horizontal left?

Regards

Keithp

Crikey! you're kidding me. So I am looking quite deep then relatively speaking.

My next go I need to identify where that centre is, I assume I can see that in the FOV appearing as a smudgy star so the imaging will bring out the rest of the data. So from where I was looking I need to move 3 FOV up and across to the left should put me on it...

Let's hope I can get that 91 Psc again...heh heh.

The info here now will, given the right conditions, give me a much better chance of pinning it down.

Many thanks All

Regards

Keithp

Archived