Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Coming back to astronomy

So, the time has come to sell what I bought with the proceeds of the sale of my LX200, to buy another scope!

But, I fancy a change.

I do remember lugging out the LX to the dark top of the garden, twiddling thumbs while it aligned itself and getting into all sorts of awkward positions to view stuff and tripping over the power / laptop / ccd cables.

(You can probably tell I am getting a touch of the Victor Meldrews!)

So, what do I do now?

I have had Meade goto scopes for the last 10 years or so, mainly because I wanted to do some astrophotography, but came to the conclusion I spent so much time in front of the laptop, I missed what else was going on around.

I am thinking of having a change from Meade goto's and have a couple of ideas and cant get round to deciding which.

Do I get a GEM?

Something like the HEQ5 or EQ6 goto mounts, and fit an OTA.

Benefits...I have GOTO again....I can choose a suitable OTA and can start imaging again if I feel the need ( I always fancied using my DSLR but never got round to it.

But, it will be heavy again. I will still have to lug it up the garden for the best views /darkest site. I will sit in front of the laptop agian......

Or...

Do I get something like a 12"Dob?

I quite fancy a Skyliner 300p Flextube.

It seems quite compact and maneageable. I can store it easily in its collapsed state. I can sit in a chair next to it. I can site it on the deck next to the house, (a 12" mirror should collect plenty of light) I can become part of the family again as they will be able to use it / talk to me, while I sit with them.

But, it wont track ( dont fancy the auto version) so wont be able to use a ccd for imaging. I will have to re learn where everything is in the sky ( not a bad thing)

Never having looked through a Dob, I am unsure about how easy it is to follow objects. Do I keep nudging it along, is it easy? will I get fed up / lose contact/ not be able to locate anything?

Help!!

Does anyone living close by have a big Dob I can look through ( Whitstable, Kent)

All advice / offers of viewings, gratefully accepted.

Allan

Archived