Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter (newbie)

jp57

Hey

Sorry if this is in the wrong place / you've had lots of threads like this already, I'm just curious! I've always had a fascination with astronomy and got much more into it lately having done the first year of a Physics degree and since last summer have been running out to see the ISS pass over.

Anyways I heard talk that Jupiter is visible in the sky, to the 'left' (very un-astronomical term sorry!) of the moon last night so I took a picture and there was definitely a very bright 'something' there! Not great quality sorry...

attachment.php?attachmentid=25503&stc=1&d=1249564108

So my questions -

- is this Jupiter?

- if so, how come it seems to be the brightest object in the night sky?

- where can I get information about where to see it? (something similar to NASAs orbital tracking maybe - though obviously not moving as fast!)

- having literally no observing equipment (apart from an old pair of binoculars) is there any fairly cheap equipment I can go and impulse buy to get a better view?

Sorry for all the questions hopefully someone can help!

Thanks, Jack

post-16994-133877389816_thumb.jpg

Yup that's Jupiter.

it's the brightest object in the sky because it's relatively close to Earth.

Download Stellarium - it's free - it's a very good night sky simulator.

Binocs are a great start - point them at Jupiter next time it's clear and you may see 3 or 4 "stars" around it but in a straight line - they are it's moons - easily seen in 10x50's.

Yeah, looks like Jupiter. I saw it yesterday too :)

You can also check Venus, it's even brighter than Jupiter. I don't have much experience with binos. I have a pair (I baught them when I was a child so I doubt they have super-cool peformance) and played with them a little last weekend. Just to check them vs my scope :) Viewing Jupiter and Venus is fun and if you haven't observed these planets through a telescope, you'll definitely like it. Also I was able to observe Andromeda Galaxy and Double Cluster even though it was a little hard to find them. You can also check Pleiades. They are beautiful even with naked eye and with binos they look cool. You can try to find all those targets and if you like that way of spending time, you can get telescope.

Archived