Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep2_banner.thumb.jpg.e37c929f88100393e885b7befec4c749.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
JDWolf

Celestron X-Cell Eyepiece

Just wondering if anyone has used a X-Cell eyepiece? What did you think? Are they any good?

Jon

They have excellent eye relief and are the "cheap version" of the Vixen LV series. Some people find the x-cels have TOO much eye relief however. I'm compelled to mention I have a set of 3 x-cels for sale on astro buy/sell. I'm only selling them to fund an upgrade.

Gordon,

I know you have 3 to sell. Contacted you earlier about the 5 mm one, hence the question on here. Didnt actually realsie you were on this fourm until after i posted the question.

Thanks for the info tho. Didnt realise you could have too much eye relief, still very interested in the 5 mmm tho.

Apologies, i didn't put 2 and 2 together (I would have made 5 anyway).

As for the eye relief it's stated at 20mm, but some people find that they get kidney beaning and blackouts due to this. I don't find it a problem, but it's more personal preference. The quality of the eyepieces is higher than "bog standard" plossls but it's not premium quality. If you are not a spectacle wearer, and dont need the eye relief, then you may find your money better spent on other designs.

dont worry i didnt put two and two together either!

i am a spectacle wearer so thats why i haev been looking at them due to the eye releif

Jon

I wear spectacles now and looked at the x-cel range which seemed to get good reviews.

I only bought the Vixen LV's instead because I got them for a good price.

I like the Vixen LV's and don't find 20mm ER 'too much'.

For afocal imaging I find the large eye lens of the Vixen LV's ( x-cel's have a large eye lens as well ) and long ER help with positioning the camera to get a good image.

MD

Just wondering if anyone has used a X-Cell eyepiece? What did you think? Are they any good?

Jon

I own an 8mm X-Cel, and it is far better in eye relief and FOV than the other plossls in my kit. I do have a little trouble with kidney-beaning, particularly when using a Barlow. I have ordered another two from an acquaintance of mine, who is bringing them to the star party I'm going to in June. I like the one i have.